Sunday, December 2, 2007

Thing #16 Wikis

I really like Wikipedia but that has been my only experience with wikis. I have always known (not sure how or from where) to double check the info if it was for something important or research oriented and to instruct others to do the same. However, its worth all that to be able to get different perspectives. I love the fact that anybody can add to the page/topic. You are not stuck reading the same paragraph that has been passed around, used and reused because that was all anybody could ever find on a particular topic. i did not realize, however, that wikis were easy and common to set up and use. Nifty!
I thought that all of the different library wikis were interesting and useful. The booklist ccaught my imagination because it would allow, for example, members of our different book clubs to share ideas and come up with more thought prior to a meeting. Or it could allow members of the community who were unable to attend meetings, to still voice their perspectives. I liked that you could create groups with passwords, etc. That small bit of control could keep the wikis for the patrons more serious about what it has to offer. I also really liked the idea of by-subject wikis. Travel is a big interest of mine so I clicked on one of the library's travel subject wiki and it was pretty cool to see all the various suggestions. Again, its being given several different points of view at the same place.
Our library could use this in a number of ways. We could use it internally. I often hear staff (especially part-time like myself) mention that they had never heard of a new policy change or procedure. Something is decided on Monday and this person only works Thursday and Friday. they probably don't hear about it until it comes up that they handles a situation incorrectly. I understand that the large policies have emails sent out about them but im talking more about the small day to day happenings. The changes could be posted and available to everyone. The other uses would be more patron oriented. The booklists, clubs and subject wikis would all be great!

No comments: