Sunday, December 2, 2007

Thing #18 Web-based Apps

I thought this was pretty cool! I have actually been using the Google docs for a little bit now but I didn't realize, completely, what it was. I manage my other job's website. Its through google and I used the docs a bit when I was setting it up. At least I know now! My boss and I write a report for every project we complete. By the end of it, even a small job, we have (at least) half a dozen different saved versions of the report somewhere. Sometimes you can waste a good half hour just trying to figure out which version is the most recent. We've emailed, burned cds, worked on three or four different computers and incorporated a couple different flash drives. Who knew we could have been working on a collaborative project this whole time? This will be put to use immediately. I also liked the pdf file option without the need for extra software. The office applications seemed very similar to the ones we use now. I didn't run into any snags with the bits that I played around with. Im looking forward to using the spreadsheet apps a bit more extensively. The privacy issues concern me a little in respect to my other job. Until a report is processed and approved its, essentially, confidential. Would working in a forum like this be going against any confidentiality agreements since security cannot be guaranteed? Hmm...will have to look into this.

No comments: