Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Thing #22 Downloading audiobooks and videos

R.E.A.D.S. was actually my favorite thing that I discovered when I started working at the library. I listen to audiobooks all the time. I have spent a small fortune buying audiobooks over the last few years. Our program has a fantastic seletion of books. Just about every author that I have ever searched for has been in there. Sometimes you may have to wait a few weeks for your hold to come up but its not that big of a deal because you can have 10 checked out at one time. the only thing that i don't like about the program is that you cannot return the audiobooks until the two week period is up. ive had it happen a few times where Ive had a few holds come in while i still had 10 books out. I lost the holds and had to put new holds on them and wait again. Also, not all the the authors have burnable books. Nora Roberts (and her J.D. Robb series)is one of the authors whose books are burnable. I usually don't check out the books that can't be burned. I mostly listen to the books at my day job or in the car. An MP3 player will be helpful with that ;)

The MyLibraryDV program also looks pretty interesting. I would probably not use it as much as the READS program. The travel section was pretty extensive, though. I feel that through youtube and other video sites, most of what we have to offer is already available through alternate (and better known) sources. thats not to say that we shouldn't promote it. It just may be more difficult for us to get patrons using it.

No comments: